One of the world’s largest and most significant collections of rings has been bequeathed to the Swiss National Museum.
Press photos may only be used for publications in connection with reporting on our museums, exhibitions and events.
Please note that only journalists are permitted to download and use our press photos, and only with reference to copyright.
T. +41 58 466 66 63
T. +41 58 466 65 69
Historical rings from the collection of Alice and Louis Koch. © Swiss National Museum
Rings from the collection of Alice and Louis Koch created by contemporary, internationally renowned jewellery designers. © Swiss National Museum
Carefully preparing the ring collection for presentation in the permanent exhibition of the National Museum Zurich. © Swiss National Museum
This piece belongs to the series ‘Water-pipe thread rings’. The section of the water pipe, which normally remains hidden, forms the decorative element. Ring, 1992, Bernhard Schobinger (born 1946), Switzerland. Iron pipe, Silver, malachite, diamonds, rubies. © Swiss National Museum
The Japanese lacquer technique urushi, with its silky lustre, appears here in a new aesthetic. The coconut shell has undergone a metamorphosis. Ring, 2007, Salome Lippuner (born 1956), Switzerland. Silver, coconut shell with black lacquer, jade. © Swiss National Museum
Belongs to a body of work titled ‘Enhancement’. The artist jeweller learnt the lost-wax casting technique from the Ashanti in Africa and the Dokra in India. Ring, 2007, Johanna Dahm (born 1947), Switzerland. 22-carat gold, steel wire. © Swiss National Museum
A snake with open jaw entwines a naked woman, who symbolizes sexuality. The pearl represents an apple, and can thus be interpreted as a symbol of temptation. Ring, around 1900, René Lalique (1860–1945), Paris. Gold, frosted glass, pearl. © Swiss National Museum
The melon-style coiffure and chignon were fashionable during this period. The shell ornaments on the ring shoulders refer to the cult of Venus. Ring, around 150 AD, maker unknown, Roman Empire (Smyrna). Embossed and engraved gold. © Swiss National Museum